Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Join in the Daniel Fast (8 to 15 Apr)

Dear Covenantors,

2012 is the year of Awakening. God is preparing the church for a great revival. And this great revival and awakening will happen when we start to fast and pray.

As part of the spiritual preparation for church camp, the Camp Committee will be embarking on a 7 day Daniel fast starting 8 April (after lunch) till 15 April, breaking fast at ACM lunch.

We would like ALL (Staff, Session leaders comprising of Elders & Deacons to BAG leaders,  CG leaders, Adults,  Youths & Young Adults & every member) to join us for the fast which is basically abstain from meats and other favourite delicacies. And each time when the craving comes, turn to Father God and talk to Him, read His Word or immerse in worshipping Him.

Fasting is feasting in the presence of God.

*Church Camp Team*


For those doing Daniel Fast for the 1st time, hear from two of them who have done it before.

Sharing from Mark Ho.
Last year before going for our TMT trip, we were all asked to do Daniel fast for 1 week. I thought it was a good idea and that it would be easy for me, but I was wrong.

Having to eat no meat for all meals was really a challenge. The constant feeling of tiredness and hunger was evident. However, I told myself that I will go and talk to God each time the hunger kicks in. It was that simple but it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

The first 3 days were the hardest. But as I pressed on, the hunger slowly faded with each passing day. Slowly I could even hear Him better and felt more at peace about the trip. He told me stuff that I would be seeing and things that I was to do there.

 So although the 7 days weren't easy, I am really glad I did it as nothing beats being able to hear Him clearer!


Sharing from Jolyn Tian
In December 2011, I did the Daniel Fast for a week in preparation to the Thailand Mission Trip (TMT). Personally, when I started, I had a big problem with the fast as I love to eat meat and I don't eat vegetables at all. Since I was a kid, I never liked and eat any vegetables. So, during the period of the fast, it was literally rice, potato or egg or just instant noodles. Haha. However as the days passed, I eventually got used to it and even loved it (in a way). Haha J

The Daniel Fast is a good way of fasting as we enter into the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting. It affects all three parts of us as we enter into a period of time for focused prayer and fasting. Mainly the body, the soul and the spirit. The body because our diets change and thus our metabolism changes accordingly as well. Most people actually become healthier from the fast. For the soul, we learn how to control our emotions such as cravings and anger as the soul may rebel against the dramatic change in our diet. Experiencing and winning this battle over the flesh is often one of the most powerful lessons of the Daniel Fast. Lastly, for the spirit, it strengthens as we want to put our spirit in charge of the other two. When our flesh is acting out with a craving, we take control of it with our spirit.

Hence, even during that short period of Daniel Fast, it helped me to deny "myself" and instead put my spirit in control over our flesh. When I plan or eat my meal, I was constantly reminded the definition of a fast is to deny food for a spiritual purpose.

 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment